Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Spring Morel Soup

Being able to go to the mid-week farmer's market in Santa Monica, California is one of the things I've been looking most forward to since giving my two weeks notice at my job. Since this is my first week of unemployment, I was very excited to roll over to Arizona and 3rd on my bicycle and load up my panniers with fresh, local, pesticide-free produce.

Spring is an amazing time for produce. It's the time of year when the weather is still somewhat gloomy at times, but the first summer vegetables and fruits are available. I've been on a kick lately of making stews with quintessentially summery veggies. Today, I picked some great greens and some wonderful morel mushrooms, and made a soup that really sang on my palate.

INGREDIENTS:

3 stalks green garlic
1/2 lb morels
1 bunch spinach
1 bunch swiss chard
1 bunch radish greens
red wine
canola oil
fresh thyme
salt/pepper

Pre-heat a stock pot, add oil, chopped green garlic, and halved and cleaned morels. Saute. When liquid cooks down, add red wine. I added about a half inch to start. Dump in the cleaned and chopped greens and put the lid on. Let it all cook down, stirring occasionally, adding wine as needed to keep things from drying out. Toss in some fresh thyme, salt and pepper. Add boiling water to desired consistancy. Let it simmer until you can't stand it anymore. Serve over brown rice in a bowl. Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment